Whether it be for breakfast, morning tea, or an afternoon snack, these delicious pineapple and oat muffins are the ultimate sweet and healthy treat.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wholewheat stoneground flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup Logicane (low GI sugar)
- 1 egg, beaten with fork
- 2/3 cup natural yoghurt
- 2 tb Australian extra virgin olive oil
- rind of 1⁄2 orange, finely grated
- 1⁄2 small pineapple, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, roughly chopped
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients before adding to the dry mix. Combine well. Add a splash of milk if too dry (this will depend on the consistency of the yoghurt).
- Gently mix through the fruit
- Spoon into muffin tin, adding a few pieces of pineapple on top
- Bake in preheated oven at 180c for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before turning out. Place onto wire rack to cool.
- Author: Dr Joanna McMillan